Life On Its Side Studios is currently accepting submissions for
“Curious Chronicles & Mysterious Musings: an anthology of Women On The Dark Side”.
Theme: “Curiosity killed the cat” - your character's curiosity leads them into dark situation. Could be literally dark. Could be humorously dark. Could be emotionally dark. Along the way, something mysterious is found (doesn't need to be a major plot point).We’re open to broad interpretations of this idea, so feel free to use your imagination.
•Open to creators 18 and over.
• Team/collaborative submissions are welcome but will be treated as a single submission. All collaborators must be female or identify as female. Transgender writers/creators are welcome.
• Your story/comic pages, etc., should be stand-alone work, not a chapter or a section for an existing piece and must be previously unpublished.
• All submissions must have a title and that should be used as the name of your file when you submit.
• The following WILL NOT be accepted - Fan-fiction or stories using other authors’ characters, settings, etc, unless they are in the public domain. Gratuitous bestiality, incest, child sex, sexual assault, racism, etc., will not be accepted. Horrific or adult content must make sense in the context of the story.
• Comic book – 2-4 pages. If you don't have completed pages by the deadline, you can submit the script and some visual aids, such as thumbnails or roughs, so we can get an idea of what your story is about. However, you must be able to finish your pages by the final deadline for publication. Teams are welcome, however, a team will be treated as one submission regardless of the number of collaborators.
• Fiction - Maximum length: 5000 words. Shorter is perfectly fine—make each word count! Proofread your story and have a friend read it before you submit. Grammar check using the Chicago Manual of Style or Grammar Girl. The editing process for the anthology will include copy editing for grammar, formatting, etc. The process may also include some minor “polish” notes on submissions but not an in-depth set of notes from an editor.
• Artwork – Any genre/subject/style. No more than 2 pieces of artwork per submission. Can be a collaboration but this will be treated as one submission, regardless of the number of collaborators.
• For fiction submissions - Send only a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or plain-text attachment. Don’t copy and paste the text directly into the email. For comic book and artwork - please send as a PDF or jpg.
Art/Comic Book Formatting Guidelines:
• Page size must fit 8.5 x 11 published page. Files should be at least 300 dpi. Try to keep all individual files under 25MB to avoid any issues with your email reaching us, unless you plan to use a file sharing site (such as Google, Dropbox, etc.). Pages will be printed with full bleed, so please plan for a 0.25" margin on all sides as your "safe zone" if you utilize bleeds in your pages. The accepted file types are JPG, TIFF, PSD, and PDF.
Rights and Payment:
• We will be launching a Kickstarter campaign approximately in July, 2019 to fund the production, promotion, and distribution of the book, as well as the compensation for all of the contributing artists. More details will be available once we announce the accepted list of contributors and get closer to the campaign's start date. Accepted contributors will be expected to support the crowdfunding campaign by sharing it and helping to promote the anthology.
• We will be offering compensation to all accepted contributors based on the successful completion of our upcoming Kickstarter campaign. Compensation is a flat rate per submission, which is shared amongst any collaborative teams. Contributors will also be entitled to a free contributor copy of the completed book and will have the option to purchase additional copies at a discounted wholesale rate.
• Creative Rights - All work is owned by the respective author(s). Life On Its Side Studios will retain one year exclusive rights to the works submitted after publication of the anthology. After one year, Contributors are permitted to distribute or sell their work on their own . Contributors agree that by submitting, Life On Its Side Studios is permitted to distribute their work in perpetuity for this anthology and promotion of the anthology. No portion of “Curious Chronicles” may be reproduced without the permission of the creator(s) or editors, except in the case of reviews.
Submissions open: Friday, March 15, 2019
Deadline: Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org